Sunday, January 29, 2012

Words I learned in Portuguese and Makua



This post is to remind me of some of the words I learned while in Africa.

Portuguese

Ola - Hello
como estas- How are you?
toto bang -  all is good
esta bang - I'm good 
como say shama? -  what is your name?
creansa - child
creansas - children
erma - sister
ermo - brother
filo - your own child e.g. I have a filo. A child would be creansa
Quantos anyos?  - how old are you?
ayo - me
ella - she
see - yes
nao ( now) - no
abrigada - thank you
por favor- please
discupa - sorry, excuse me
ata logo - see you later
chow- good bye
shayga - enough
sentar- sit
onda - where
onda esta - where is...
quanta custa- how much?
bon dia - good morning
bon tartde - good afternoon
bon noyte - good night
falas inglesh - do you speak english? falas - speak
nao intendo - I don't understand
zejuse te amor - Jesus loves you
espirito santo - Holy spirit
fogo - fire
casa - house
felish - happy
dansar - dance
frango - chicken
asado - shack
motar - motorcycle
aca bow - finished
zipe la boca - quiet ( shut your mouth )
silencio - silence
bay bay - baby
pow - bread
aqua - water
she she - pee
quarasown - heart
escoola - school
ecresha - church
iscriver - write
vosa - you
vosa tang ermous? do you have brothers or sisters?
bonita - beautiful
faya - ugly
miesh - more
arosh - rice
manga - mango
pez - fish
matopa - matopa
gato - cat
transar - braid
vamoush - lets go
sperata - wait
shin nel - flip flops
photo - photo
amgos - friends
pria - beach
mesa - table
comer- each
faka - knife
cozinya - kitchen
morta - dead
dee a - day
noyta - night
nada - nothing
cansada - tired
estrala - star
sol - sun
a mon ya - tomorrow
flora - flower
rapido - fast
porque? - why?/ because
film - movie
kalor - hot
tia - aunt
dormeer - sleep
a key - here
din nero - money
agora - now
latrina/banyo - bathroom
carta - cards
baptismo -baptism
poco - little
entenda - understand
falo um poco... - I speak a little ...
Nao intendo/ nao falla - I don't understand/ I don't speak
frio - cold



Makua
Saloma - Hello
mahavo? - how are you?
kehavo - I'm good
agena noka poni? what is your name?
agena noka .... - my name is .....
mayna - no
sooka - get lost
uke lay lay lay - please
kushikuru - thank you
urayrah - beautiful
urayrah sona - very beautiful
yasoo - Jesus
shoni - what
muluku - God
way - you
acunya - whitie
consa - sea shell
un poca maylo - I'll see you tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment